MID MURRAY AWARDS $28,700 IN COMMUNITY GRANTS
Thursday, February 7, 2019
The Mid Murray Council has awarded a total of $28,700 in community grants this month to a
range of proactive community groups, events and talented individuals.
Under Round One of the council’s Community and Individual Youth, Sport and Cultural Grants
program, successful organisations from Cadell, Truro, Swan Reach, Purnong, Caurnamont and
Mannum will be able to grow and develop a range of worthwhile community services, projects
The grants are allocated under four different categories - Small Community Grants, Community
Event Grants, Community Project Grants, and Individual Youth, Sport and Cultural Grants.
Mayor Dave Burgess said the program continued to be a valuable investment into the district,
helping to raise community spirit and enhance overall wellbeing.
“Our grants help maintain and improve the services and facilities provided by community groups
and organisations, which are run by hard-working volunteers,” Mayor Burgess says.
“With a small amount of financial support from Council, several small community groups will be
able to purchase or upgrade much-needed equipment and signage.
“Our events funding will bring more attention to local events and subsequently more visitors,
providing positive outcomes for the tourism economy. This includes supporting Mannum’s
Games Obsession Expo, Carols by the River, Tungkillo Country Music and a Purnong regatta.”
“In the bigger funding wins, a collective $10,000 has been allocated to upgrade the Truro town
hall and raceway clubrooms. Plus Caloote Landing will soon have a community notice board and
defibrillator and the Swan Reach Women’s Rest Room will have safety cameras installed.”
A breakdown of the funding is set out below:
Small Community Grants
• Swan Reach Women’s Rest Room: Purchase a monitored camera setup - $1,000.
• Purnong, Caurnamont & Districts Progress Association: Purchase a community notice
board - $990.
• Cadell Pistol Club: Target timer - $895.
• Mannum Little Athletics Centre: Equipment upgrade - $1,000.
• Truro & District Community Association: New Truro BMX track signage - $1,000.
• Mid Murray Support Service on behalf of the “Down to Earth Garden Group”: Automatic
dripper system - $1,000.
Community Event Grants
• Mannum Agricultural Society: Games Obsession Expo - $2,000.
• Mannum Baptist Church: Carols by the River - $1,500.
• Tungkillo Progress Club: Tungkillo Country Music Night - $2,000.
• Purnong, Caurnamont & Districts Progress Association: Water Regatta - $2,000.
Community Project Grants
• Truro & District Community Association: Truro town hall upgrade - $5,000.
• Truro & Districts Raceway: Clubroom upgrade - $5,000.
• Purnong, Caurnamont & Districts Progress Association: Adult Fitness area signage - $1,400.
• Caloote Landing Progress Association: Community notice board and defibrillator - $2423.33.
Individual Youth, Sport and Cultural Grants
• Charlotte Lan Hatton: Selected to compete in the Junior 8 ball Nationals in Launceston Tasmania - $500.
• Toby Christiansen: Selected to represent Australia as part of the 2018 Ultimate Fiji Cup in Under 15’s soccer - $1,000.
The next round of grant funding closes on 31 March 2019 for Small Community and Community Event Grants (Community Project Grants have only one round and Individual Grants are available all year round).